Creator: Woodland Trust is a UK based organisation with a vision to see a country rich in native woods and trees enjoyed and valued by everyone
Purpose: This manifesto is to tell the Government what is needed to manage England’s forest and drum up public support to make it happen.
The Forest Manifesto
• Our ancient woods are fully protected
• New woods are created to provide a complete life support system for people and wildlife
• Public support for trees and woods inspires a new connection with the natural world.
• New and strengthened forms of protection for ancient woodland (it’s astounding that there are no protective legal designations to prevent damage and development for 85% of this irreplaceable habitat, our equivalent of the rainforests)
• A government commitment to restore all 35,000 hectares of planted ancient woods in their ownership (their restoration would be one of the most important contributions to nature conservation in England)
• A government commitment to woodland creation and a target of 15,000ha per annum in the Natural Environment White Paper (planting rates in England declined from 6,500ha in 1992 to just 2,300ha in 2010 and with only 8% of England covered by forests, we are almost at the bottom of the European league table on forest cover)
• Every child should have the chance to plant a tree as part of their education.
Reference Article and source of Manifesto pdf: http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2072672/woodland-trust-calls-government-backed-carbon-scheme-grow-trees
Organization website: woodlandtrust.org.uk