Creator: Dmitry Shapiro, the founder of Veoh and former CTo of MySpace Music has just received startup funding for Altly, an alternative to Facebook.
Purpose: To overcome feeling pressured to ‘friend’ someone on Facebook, Altly will be an alternative social network to Facebook. At it’s core is a different set of beliefs around privacy and the use of our personal information.
The Altly Manifesto
Altly (name may change before we launch) is building a Facebook alternative. Think of it as a social network for Facebook graduates!
We believe :
• Privacy is ULTIMATELY important.
• We should know EXACTLY who can see what information about us.
• Control of our information should be in OUR hands, and it should be EXTREMELY easy for us to control it.
• WE should choose what information is stored, how long it is kept, and who it is available to.
• Our digital life, our personal information is EXTREMELY valuable, and each of us should not only control who has access to it, but BENEFIT from it.
• Advertisers should be part of our community, but should NOT have an unfair advantage over us.
• All of our data should be OURS, and no one else’s. If we choose to leave our social network, we should be able to easily take ALL of our data with us, and COMPLETELY delete all data if we choose.
• If other social networks should be developed, they should be able to interoperate with one another.
Author’s complete Blog Article: http://blog.altly.com/2011/05/the-need-for-an-alternative-to-facebook/
Article about Alty Funding: http://www.socaltech.com/altly_posts_anti_facebook_manifesto_gets_funding/s-0035969.html