Creator: RenewableUK Cymru is a part of the UK’s leading renewable energy trade association and represents the wind and marine renewables industries in Wales.
Purpose: This manifesto sets out what the industry believes is required to help achieve renewable energy targets, so that Wales becomes more sustainable.
Renewable Energy Manifesto – Key Targets 2011
1. Meet (in full) 2010 renewable energy targets as soon as possible, by providing leadership and facilitating the removal of obstacles.
2. Commit to achieving new renewable energy targets set by the Low Carbon Revolution Policy Statement, by fully exploiting renewable energy technologies, including mature technologies such as onshore wind that are ready and waiting to be deployed.
Economic, Environmental and Social Contribution
1. Commit funds and support to develop Welsh ports.
2. Focus business support on renewables investment.
3. Standardise Welsh route-of-entry for skills training.
4. Work with industry to establish minimum requirements for community benefit funds.
1. Produce onshore delivery plan, with WAG taking a visible lead to deliver policy.
2. Revisit TAN 8, protecting existing development areas, whilst identifying new areas.
3. Show clear planning assumption in favour of proposed developments within SSA’s.
4. Do not allow major changes to identified boundaries.
5. Provide resources and support tools from WAG (e.g. senior official) to help LPA’s deliver “local” schemes.
6. Transfer any further devolved powers to WAG rather than LPA’s.
7. Decision on associated development powers to be called in by WAG.
1. Produce offshore wind delivery plan showing how WAG can assist the commissioning of offshore wind farms.
2. Sustainability Committee to scrutinise Minister and industry as to the rate of offshore energy delivery.
3. Ensure that MCZ’s do not unnecessarily impair or restrict capacity of marine renewable energy sites.
4. WAG Marine Unit to be adequately resourced and have the necessary expertise.
Wave and Tidal
1. Produce delivery plan showing how to achieve ambitious WAG targets for wave and tidal technologies.
2. Explore possibilities to introduce alternative marine technologies in the Severn Estuary.
3. Leasing round to be brought forward by The Crown Estate for wave and tidal areas.
4. Ensure adequate resources and expertise for WAG Marine Unit.
5. Maximise EU funds for R&D and for testing sites for marine renewable technologies.
Press Release: http://www.bwea.com/media/news/articles/pr20110419.html
Download Manifesto: http://www.bwea.com/ref/reports-and-studies.html