Creator: The work of many people over many centuries.
Purpose: A manifesto that explains the way the world was created and the role of man and woman in that world. It becomes a framework for living for followers of Judaism or Christianity.
The Creation Story Summary:
The seven steps in which God created with world…
- Day 1 – God created light and separated the light from the darkness, calling light “day” and darkness “night.”
- Day 2 – God created an expanse to separate the waters and called it “sky.”
- Day 3 – God created the dry ground and gathered the waters, calling the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters “seas.” On day three, God also created vegetation (plants and trees).
- Day 4 – God created the sun, moon, and the stars to give light to the earth and to govern and separate the day and the night. These would also serve as signs to mark seasons, days, and years.
- Day 5 – God created every living creature of the seas and every winged bird, blessing them to multiply and fill the waters and the sky with life.
- Day 6 – God created the animals to fill the earth. On day six, God also created man and woman (Adam and Eve) in his own image to commune with him. He blessed them and gave them every creature and the whole earth to rule over, care for, and cultivate.
- Day 7 – God had finished his work of creation and so he rested on the seventh day, blessing it and making it holy.
Scripture Reference: Genesis 1:1-2:3